When it comes to blenders that are a cut above the rest, both Blendtec and Vitamix are top choices among consumers. These companies have earned a reputation for making quality products that perform well and get the job done, but how do they stack up against each other in terms of different things like power, features, and design?
The price of Vitamix blenders ranges from around $300 to as much as $800. Blendtec models can be purchased from $250 to just over $1000. This company does offer factory refurbished models which are significantly cheaper than brand new ones. It is important to keep in mind that these blenders you are paying for quality and longevity; they are considered to be commercial-grade appliances and are built to last.
The amount of power that a blender has is definitely one of the more important things to consider when trying to choose the best one. When making a smoothie it is necessary to use a blender with a motor that is powerful enough to create a smooth consistency, and there is definitely a difference between these two blender brands which you will need to take into consideration before deciding what to get.
In general, Blendtec blenders tend to have more horsepower, such as with the TB-621-20 model which boasts a total of 1,560 watts a 3 horsepower direct-drive motor. The Vitamix 7500 has a 1,440-watt motor with 2.2 horsepower; close but not quite as impressive as what Blendtec has to offer. While both of these blenders can still make smoothies with a great consistency and very little pulp, Blendtec is a step above Vitamix in terms of the power of their products.
As far as the designs of these blenders is concerned, there really is no clear winner. It all comes down to the preference of the individual. There are some people who prefer certain designs over others for the blender they use to make smoothies, but there are a few very important things which you will need to know about these two brands when it comes to the designs they use for their products.
Both Blendtec and Vitamix have containers which are made copolyester plastic, which means that they are extremely hard to break and are very lightweight. This is an especially nice design feature, considering how frustrating it can be to lift a heavy blender container when pouring smoothies into glasses. Blendtec and Vitamix offer 64 oz. containers, but there are other options to explore.
Vitamix also has a 32 oz. wet jar as well as a 48 oz. wet container and the 64 oz. one for those who desire a larger capacity for smoothie making. The larger 64 oz. container is available only with the New Generation models, including the Professional Series 300 as well as the Pro 750.
Blendtec has introduced their “Twister Jar“, which has a very unique design to it. Part of what makes it so unique is its overall versatility, capable of making things that range from baby food to peanut butter and purees.
Some of the different container options that Vitamix offers include:
- Large 64 oz. Container
- 48 oz. Compact Container
- 32 oz. Container
- 32 oz. Dry Grains Container
Blendtec’s container options include:
- 64 oz. FourSide Jar Container
- 90 oz. Wildside Jar (complete with 4 inch blade)
- Twister Jar (smaller container)
When it comes to the blade designs of the Blendtec and Vitamix blenders, there are a few differences that are worth taking note of.
One of the best things about the design of Vitamix’s blenders is that you are able to take out and replace all 4 blades if they eventually become too dull to get the job done. With Blendtec however, the blades are part of the container assembly and therefore cannot be replaced if they become dull. Also, the blades in most Blendtec blenders are known for being somewhat dull to begin with, so those who want sharp blades that can be replaced might want to think about going with a Vitamix model.
The performance of both Blendtec and Vitamix blenders is absolutely incredible, so it’s hard to say which one is better than the other when it comes to how they perform. There are a lot of different factors which affect the performance of a blender, so ultimately it will be up to you to decide.
This is how each of these blenders stacks up against each other when it comes to the following functions:
- Smoothie Making: Making smoothies is what blenders are all about, and Blendtec can really get the job done when it comes to this particular function. One of the best things about these blenders is that they can be used to make smoothies thousands of times before starting to show signs of declining performance. Blendtec offers a variety of buttons for manual blending, allowing the user to get their smoothie just how they want it.Vitamix blenders are also great at making smoothies, and there are a number of smoothie shops across the country that use these commercial-grade blenders hundreds of times a day. These blenders also offer a number of buttons for manual blending that can really come in handy when making delicious fruit smoothies.
- Chopping: While it is true that both brands of blenders are advertised as having the same capabilities and performance of a food processor, they don’t compare to most appliances which are designed specifically for this task. Vitamix blenders are rather good when it comes to clean chopping, at least more so than Blendtec models which use the Pulse feature to perform this particular function.
- Mixing: When it comes to mixing ingredients together into a smooth consistency, both Blendtec and Vitamix do a great job overall. One of great things about Blendtec’s blenders is that they have the “Batters” button which is great for making pancake and waffle batters.With Vitamix blenders, it is necessary to blend together the wet ingredients and mix them with the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Blendtec might just be a little bit better when it comes to mixing, because their blenders allow you to blend together the wet ingredients with the Fourside and Twister jars, adding in the dry ingredients next.
Getting a warranty for a blender, especially one that costs as much as these, is certainly a smart idea. Both Blendtec and Vitamix offer 7-year warranties with all of their products, and they cover the containers as well as the base. Vitamix does offer a 3 year extended warranty for an additional amount of $75, though this may not be worth it to everyone. Blendtec offers the same extended warranty option for the same amount, but only for those who make the decision to upgrade when they buy a new blender.
In terms of overall performance, both Blendtec and Vitamix have a lot to offer and there is just no clear winner. While it is true that Blendtec’s models are generally more powerful, that doesn’t necessary mean better overall performance. We have even included a Blendtec model in our best blender for smoothies comparison. Both of these brands make commercial-grade blenders which are used in smoothie shops and homes because of how good they are at performing a variety of functions, so you really can’t go wrong with either.